I have decided to extend my 6-month contract to a 12-month contract, so I will be spending a full year in the blessed land of Taiwan! I embarked on this journey with the mindset that extending was a very real possibility and once I got here and realized how much I loved it, extending seemed like the only real choice before me. I signed the 1-year contract about a month ago, but I'm only making it "blog official" now.
 |
| Outside of our church building one Sunday. |
It's strange to think that I haven't been here quite 3 months yet because in a way I feel like I've been here forever. I've acclimated to Taiwan faster than I have any environment previously in my life, including every state in the U.S. that I have lived. Moving out to the Midwest as a preteen, to China for volunteer work, and even back to Utah for University; none of them were as easy of transitions as moving to Taiwan has been. When I look back on each of those periods of transition I can see different facets of life that I was struggling with, often times as a result of the moves. This time however I am not struggling. I am older now and thus am more prepared for life's various struggles compared to my younger self, but I still can't help but think that Taiwan is a good fit for me. Of all of the places I've been, I've never felt this free and empowered.
 |
| One of my kitty friends. |
Enough days on the calendar have been scratched off since I have arrived that I am well past the honeymoon phase. Everything isn't new anymore and the whole world is no longer tinted with a rose colored filter. Life here is normal, and in a way that's better because Taiwan has become home. I say good morning to the same elderly man as I set out for my morning commute. I've made friends with many of the store owners on food street and my favorite fruit vendor often gives me discounts because I can't go a week without buying mangoes from her. The cat that belongs to the family who owns a Korean wrap shop by the school always knows it can get a good scratch session from me while I wait for my food to be prepared. Over the last 12 weeks I have become as much a part of Taiwan as it has become a part of me. Going on big elaborate trips is always fun, but these are the things that I will take with me forever. These people and these small moments; these are what Taiwan is to me and I am grateful that I will have over 9 more months to experience more of the land that I have come to call home.
 |
| Eating mangoes with chopsticks: full cultural immersion. |
 |
| Kim doing my makeup during a break at work one day. |
 |
| Yara (left, 5 years old) and Grace (Right, 7 years old) in my classroom which also triples as the art/shop room |
 |
| My evening 2-A class. Left to right: Derek, Kerry, May, Lisa, Jill, Alex (hiding by me), Olivia, and Maggie up front. This is literally the best picture I could get with my crazy kids that I adore. |
Comments
Post a Comment