The Force is With Us

I have recently acquired a lot of neat real life experiences that I need to share on the blog, but lets take a moment to talk about Star Wars. Star Wars is priority above all else and anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong.

For months I have had deep hidden anxiety about Star Wars Episode VIII. More specifically, about how I will be able to watch it. You see, my entire life I have had the privilege of being able to see each new Star Wars film that's come out in my lifetime at the midnight premiere. Back in 1999 my Mom bought her way up in line so that she could secure our family tickets to the midnight showing. I have always been amongst the first to witness the glory that is Star Wars and it was bothering me deep down that this would be the first time that I wouldn't have that experience.

For films such as these the international release date is often a few days later than the domestic one, so I would be days behind everyone else. Also, I would have to work around my heavy work schedule that allows zero flexibility and makes it difficult to make any kind of plans during the weekdays. For added problems, I would have no idea how to purchase advanced tickets even if I wanted to. I tried to see if I could buy tickets for our local movie theater online but, of course, it's all in Chinese and even though we have Google Translate to help us out it usually comes out to.....I don't understand.

Since the release date of Star Wars is fast approaching (December 15th) we decided to look up when Taiwan would actually be getting it. To our shock and amazement Taiwan actually gets Star Wars before the USA does. (whaaaaaa....) I know. I know, it's crazy. The release date for the Last Jedi in Taiwan is actually December 13th. We get the movie here two whole days before anyone back home does. AND with the time difference added in it seems even sooner. Crazy. It's absolutely bonkers.
We were on a mission, now.
As soon as we read that information on the laptop screen, language barrier be screwed, we were going to figure out how to see it opening day. While we couldn't figure out how to purchase tickets early for the local theater here in Changhua, we could see that it was possible for the larger theaters in Taichung--but only starting on December 1st. When were we figuring all of this information out? November 29th, 2 days before the tickets would be going on sale. Perfect timing? I would say so. So who do we go to in desperate times of need such as these? MOMO!

We recruited Momo's help and she came through for us like the champion that she is. She made a bunch of phone calls and looked up a lot of information on the internet to find us the best place considering the time constraints that we had to work with.

We managed to get tickets for Wednesday the 13th (OPENING NIGHT OH GOSH) at 7:40 P.M. When do we get off of work? 6:45 P.M. The theater is all of the way in the heart of Taichung in a mall so Momo recommends that we take a taxi to ensure that we make it on time, especially with all of the evening traffic. So the plan is for us to take a taxi there and then to probably make our own way home via public transportation once the movie lets out since it won't be obscenely late.

The theater is in Top City, the mall that I visited with April and Karen about 3 months ago, and it's supposedly very large and nice. The tickets Momo fought to get us also include a drink and popcorn each, so they're fancy. She says that they're expensive movie tickets but including the online fee, it only cost about $12.50 USD. That's a ticket that basically comes with a combo meal and is in the evening too. I tried to explain to Momo how that's not expensive according to US standards but she was still apologetic about it all.
The magical tickets.
All of my worries and fears have been absolved. I will still see Star Wars at the earliest opportunity and this time it'll be in a spanking theater in Taichung, Taiwan. How cool is that? The force definitely helped us get our tickets, that's for sure.









Comments

Popular Posts